Pratt Institute Manhattan Campus
New York, NY
EE&K was engaged to design the renovation, restoration and adaptive reuse of a historic loft building on 14th Street into Pratt’s flagship Manhattan Campus. Bordering on the Greenwich Village Historic District, the structure was originally built in 1896 by the New York firm of Brunner and Tryon.
The project included the complete restoration of the delicately articulated brick and terra cotta façade, metal cornice, and the entire exterior shell; the creation of new passenger elevator and stair cores; and the complete design and fit-out of the loft interior to service a variety of Pratt’s graduate programs. General classrooms, art studios, computer classrooms, facility offices, lounges, and a photo lab are anchored by a new library.
The design of a new public gallery on the second floor houses Pratt exhibits and traveling shows. A new lobby creates a street level presence complementing adjacent retail tenants. Large banners mark Pratt Institute’s presence on 14th Street, while advertising gallery exhibits.