Hyde Leadership Public Charter School
EE&K, as part of a design/build team, modernized a 194,000 gsf former junior high school building to house the Hyde Leadership Public Charter School, a Pre-K through 12th grade program for 1,000 students. A campus of four buildings constructed between 1932 to 1966, the design takes advantage of the architectural character and opportunities of each of the buildings. For example, in the landmark-quality 1932 building, wood floors and millwork were restored in the classrooms and the original wood seats and brass lighting fixtures will complement the historic plasterwork of its impressive auditorium.
The buildings have been adapted to create distinct “academic neighborhoods,” reducing the scale of the campus to ease wayfinding and enable the students to have their own home base within the larger learning community. As well, the design engages the neighboring community-for example, by providing opportunities for the Woodbridge Warriors, a neighborhood football team, to use the facilities after hours without compromising security.
The scope of the modernization also included abatement, roofing and façade repairs, new HVAC, electrical, and fire alarm systems, new finishes, new elevator, new cooking kitchen and new information technology. The project was accomplished on a very aggressive schedule and a very tight budget, requiring close collaboration among the owner, the builder and the design team.
Profiled in The Washington Post and described as “beautifully renovated,” the campus opened in December 2010.